2019
Meeting Minutes

Preserve open space
Davie, Florida

Minutes-2019

February 11, 2019
 

I. Call to order: 6:38pm at Davie's Best Pizza

II. Roll Call: John Ladue, Jacqueline Ladue, Ruth Bronisas, Fred Segal, Linda Greck, Michael H. Bartlett

III. Adopt Today's Agenda:

IV. Approval of minutes from 12/3/18 meeting:

  • Minutes approved from December 3 with one change, attendee named as Linda Segal in error, corrected to Kathleen Dempsey. Motion to approve by Ms. Greck, seconded by Mr. Bartlett, unanimous voice vote.
  • V. Treasurer's Report: Bank balance: $17,399.68; $200 yet to be deposited. Treasurer received checks from Linda Greck and Joyce M. Steward for deposit.

    Expenditures reported: Land Trust Alliance membership renewal and Annual Meeting (Dec. 3) food expense. Expenditure forecast: Uniform Business Report will be filed by Mr. Segal. Mr. Bartlett reported that a donation response letter had been mailed to Ms. Steward. Move to approve Treasurer's Report by Mr. Bartlett, seconded by Ms. Greck, unanimous voice vote.

    VI. Secretary's Report:

  • Progress identifying easements: Mr. Bartlett reported that he had obtained copies of the public records from Mr. Ladue and posted them on the website. He furnished that link to Phillip Holste at the Town of Davie, who informed him verbally that development had not started on any of the three parcels. Mr. Bartlett furnished the records to Jay Evans of Pillar Consultants, Inc, a Davie surveying firm. Mr. Evans has volunteered to help identify the parcels in layman's terms so that we can do a map and aerial overlay to publicize the easements to better inform our members; and to be able to photograph the easements for the web site and to document their condition as part of the Land Trust's maintenance responsibility. The Board approved by discussion accepting Mr. Evans' valuation on the services performed for a donation acknowledgement letter.
  • Directors and Officers Insurance: Mr. Bartlett had posted a brochure and estimate from one responding company and reported that of the five or six companies contacted this was the only one that had responded willing to provide coverage. The others declined, speculatively because of the lack of employees and low revenue. Ms. Greck suggested that we take advantage of our LTA membership to inquire with them about any options including an LTA umbrella. Mr. Segal commented that one of the drivers for this type of insurance is Directors suing each other. Mr. Bartlett will contact the LTA to research any offering prior to the next meeting.
  • VII. Old Business:

  • Ms. Greck to schedule meeting with Phillip Holste (Town of Davie administration) for details on fee structure, will schedule with Mr. Ladue as both will attend
  • Mr. Segal questioned if anything brought revenue back (point of discussion for Holste meeting)
  • Mr. Segal requested a copy of the resolution concerning the fee structure for the Oak Park easement.
  • Mr. Segal confirmed Land Trust Alliance membership renewal
  • Orange Blossom Festival
    • ---Mr. Ladue volunteered to bring available brochures
    • ---Ms. Greck suggested plants as branded items for distribution to interested parties, and mentioned that frisbees were popular, people took plants but didn't give anything back.
    • ---Will be sharing space inside the Farm Bureau tent
    • ---Coverage: Mr. Ladue will be there early, Mr. Segal all day, Ms. Greck will be there Saturday afternoon from 2:00pm, Ms. Bronisas will be there Sunday from 10:00am until 3:00pm, and Mr. Ladue will arrive later Sunday afternoon and pick up any remaining material
    • ---Discussion of possible activities/membership incentives/attractions: Mr. Segal suggested a raffle, Ms. Greck suggested a bird feeder as prize, Mr. Segal suggested a Farm Bureau gift basket, Mr. Segal stated that a ticket should be handed out for any donation with no monetary value assigned to the ticket; Mr. and Ms. Ladue believed they had raffle tickets to donate.

  • Water Matters Day
    • ---Mr. Ladue reported he sent in paperwork requesting a space adjacent to the Farm Bureau.
    • ---Mr. and Ms. Ladue volunteered to be there all day.
    • ---Mr. Ladue and Ms. Greck planned to communicate on the success of the raffle at the Orange Blossom Festival to possibly do something similar at Water Matters.
    • ---Ms. Greck looking at other items.

    VIII. New Business:

  • No new business
  • IX. Comments/Concerns/Announcements

    • ---Membership list- Ms. Bronisas is looking and volunteered to contact Peter Nolan to see if anything Marcy Nolan had is still available. Mr. Ladue stated that he might have a briefcase containing more records.
    • ---Membership renewals- tied in with getting the membership list records organized. Mr. Segal suggested getting the easement publishing complete as an outreach and renewal aid.
    • ---Farm Park easement- no update. Mr. Segal said the property has closed and Rick Case is donating the property back to the Town, and suggested that the Land Trust follow up to determine who is going to maintain the property if it does go back to the Town.
    • ---Question about the Land Trust PayPal account- Mr. Bartlett to check and report.
    • ---Question about location of documents containing 501(c)(3) paperwork, articles of incorporation, and bylaws. Once located they should be online.
    • ---Suggestion for next meeting: objectives and goals.

    X. Time and Place of Next Meeting:

  • Suggested: Davie's Best Pizza at 6:30pm on April 8
  • XI. Adjourn

  • Move to adjourn by Mr. Bartlett, seconded by Mr. Ladue, unanimous voice vote, adjourned at 7:43pm
  • gotland@davielandtrust.com